Welcome to ALGWA WA
The Australian Local Government Women's Association (ALGWA) is the peak body representing the interests of women in local government – either as officers or elected members. The Association seeks to assist in furthering women's knowledge, understanding and participation in the function of local government.
ALGWA (WA) aims to improve diversity in community decision-making by encouraging and supporting women in, and into, local government. We do this by providing our members with opportunities to network, learn new skills, and find support from other people in the industry. We also hope to increase the number of women in elected and executive positions.
- Assist in furthering women’s knowledge and understanding of the functions of Local Government
- Encourage women to participate in Local Government
- Encourage women to make a career from Local Government
- Protect the interests and rights of women in Local Government
- Take action in relation to any subject or activity affecting Local Government and Local Government legislation
- Act in an advisory capacity to intending women candidates for Local Government elections
Membership of ALGWA is open to anyone interested in supporting women’s participation in Local Government. Membership includes elected Councillors, Employees in Local Government, former Mayors and Councillors, individual Councils and Shires and intending candidates for Local Government elections.Become a member